From its beginnings in Sydney, Earth Hour support has grown to millions of people in over 5,000 cities across 135 countries across the world. The simple action of turning off lights for one hour continues to deliver a powerful message about the need for action on climate change.
This year Earth Hour will be held at 8:30pm on Saturday 31 March 2012. With commercial office tenants accounting for almost 50 per cent of the electricity consumed in office buildings, CitySwitch Signatories have a key role to play in taking action. So far a number of CitySwitch Signatories have shown their support – to follow their lead, register your organisation >
Visit the Earth Hour website to access a range of resources including a business toolkit and promotional templates to help promote Earth Hour and spread the word about energy efficiency.
Access Earth Hour resources >
After ‘lights out’ for Earth Hour 2012, go beyond the hour with these CitySwitch energy saving tips:
- Switch off the lights if you are last to leave the room – around 70 per cent of energy used in offices is attributed to lighting.
- Buy energy efficient light bulbs – generally they use around 20 per cent less energy and last between four to ten times longer than the average incandescent bulb.
- Locate printers and photocopiers away from air-conditioning sensors – heat from equipment can mean thermostats overcool the office.
- Switch to ENERGY STAR® enabled equipment and use up to 75 per cent less energy.
- Engage your staff - reward those who switch off their computers and monitors at night, start a green team or initiate an inter-floor energy savings challenge. Staff behaviour has a large role to play in optimising your office energy efficiency.
- After ‘lights out’ for Earth Hour 2012, make an ongoing commitment to reduce carbon pollution and sign up to CitySwitch Green Office >