What is a Building Energy Efficiency Certificate (BEEC)?
The Building Energy Efficiency Disclosure Act 2010 contains mandatory obligations applicable to many commercial buildings. Under the Act, the Commercial Building Disclosure (CBD) scheme requires most sellers or lessors of office space of 2,000 square metres or more to obtain and disclose a current Building Energy Efficiency Certificate (BEEC). A BEEC is comprised of:
- an energy star rating for the base building
- an assessment of tenancy lighting in the area of the building that is being sold or leased
- general energy efficiency guidance for owners and tenants.
Why check a BEEC?
The Commercial Building Disclosure
(CBD) scheme applies to Australia's largest office buildings and forms part of a package of measures to encourage building energy efficiency developed by the Australian, state and territory governments. Knowing the base building's performance and BEEC lighting efficiency can help organisations to:
- understand the efficiency of the building
- understand the likely impacts of lighting energy consumption on your bills
- identify whether the space has sophisticated lighting controls which has implications for occupant comfort
- compare the total likely cost of occupancy for different tenancies.
How to use the ratings
Commercial Building Disclosure is managed by the Australian Government Department of Climate Change and Energy Efficiency. Tenants can go to the Building Energy Efficiency Register
to view the certificate for their building, or for buildings they are considering for a new lease. The star rating communicated on a Building Energy Efficiency Certificate will be a NABERS Energy rating – either for just the base building or the whole building rating.
- A base building rating covers the performance of the building’s central services and common areas, which are usually managed by the building owner.
- A whole building rating also covers the tenanted space. These ratings are only disclosed when there is inadequate metering to obtain a base building rating.